Russia Samara Mission

Mission Updates for Sister Brittany Wilson







Monday, December 6, 2010

Hello Everyone!!

Family! :)
Thank you so much for your emails! It seems like forever since I've talked with any of you! So I'll answer the questions first, I don't have a lot of time left...my email to the president has to come first :( So my companion is good. She was sick this week so we stayed in a lot! Made for a long week, but good in terms of studying! She is from Arizona/Utah, and leaves to go home in February so I might be her last comp if nothing changes at the transfer. My district is good. We see each other a couple times a week which I love cause Elder Morris is in my district! It really helps to make me feel at home with him here! There are 6 missionaries and a senior couple in the district. The district meetings are in our area so we don't have to walk too far! Teaching was slow this week, just cause we were inside a lot, but normally it's good. We've lost a few investigators I think. They just aren't progressing, but we haven't dropped them yet, so I don't know what's going on there! Ok so for the weather question...ha! I have made the decision I hate snow! Yep, hate it! What's the purpose really? Yeah it's pretty to look at the first time it snows, and from inside! But then you go outside and it's all gross and muddy and cold! Then it freezes over! So really what's the purpose? :) No it's not that bad yet...it will get worse. There were a few days that I was really really cold but you just deal with it I guess. Not sure how I am but I am so far! We don't eat at members homes, or we're not suppose to. When we are there, they usually always give us food, but it's not like dinner appointments. Russians pride themselves on being good hosts, so we're always offered food! It's been really good, all of it, except the meat stuff I told you about last time! That was absolutely gross! So there is one story I want to tell you about! It happened yesterday! We had been fasting all day and were already past our 24 hours! We had one appointment that was coming to the church to meet with us then we could leave. Well she didn't show up, we go to leave and the district president asked us to stay for a meeting that the elders didn't show up for. :( Starving, we stayed! Over a hour later, they dismissed us from the meeting and we ran downstairs to leave when we saw a lady standing at the front door! We let her in and she asked if she could attend one of our services! (Yeah I'm serious) We told her they were done for the day but gave her a tour of the building! We went through and talked about every picture of Christ and explained how the Church works, and the basic principles. We got to the First Vision (I got to do that part! :) ) and the Spirit was so strong...I was like, what is going on? Then we ended with talking about the Book of Mormon and she started to cry again (sorry, she also cried when we talked about Christ). We asked her if she wanted a copy and she said she has already read the WHOLE thing. We asked what she thought about it and if she prayed to know it was true. She just kept smiling and crying, then said she knows it's true. So we took her back to the baptism of Christ picture and asked her to be baptized. Still crying she said YES! She is set for baptism on the 18th of this month! I couldn't believe it! It was the most amazing experience ever! We have a lot of things to do before then, but we gave her basically all the principles of the gospel, we just have to make sure she understands them completely! Talk about someone being prepared! That had absoultely nothing to do with us! The Lord did that one! :) It was great! I hope and pray that everyhting works out! I've been studying the scriptures a lot lately! I've come to find I really enjoy that! I don't fall alseep anymore while reading so I'm gettin gmore out of them! ;) So, I went tracting for the first time. A member, about 21, went with us, and well...I entertained her! I now know hwat it feels like to get the Russian eye roll...its kinda rude! I also know how embarrassing it is to have old Russian men answer the door innothing but underwear. The worst part...he wanted us to come in! Yep, he was drunk! We didn't go in, just so you know! :) It was a fun experience! My russian is still not that great, so there are the people who think it's fun to listen to me, and then the people who think I'm butchering their language(the eye rollers). Overall, I'm doing really good! How is everything there! I'll read the emails today and write about them next week! Sorry it's like that! Thank you so much for all of your support! i love you all so much you have no idea! Take care of yourselves!
Love, Sister Wilson

Я люблю тебя! I love you!
The only thing I had time to tupe...the keyboard is confusing!

Seond letter!!!
So I ended up having more time than I thought.... I scanned through the emails cause I wanted to have time to email you, so sorry if I didn't answer everything! I am going to print off pictures today so hopefully they will go out soon! I have no idea how long mail takes but I'll let you know when I hear from you! So what else happened this week, or things I can tell you....I lost 4 1/2 pounds...random fact but I'm sticking to my exercise and eating healthy! Especially cause every Sunday we go to a members house....I love her, she tells everyoone she's the missionaries mom while they're in Russia...and she feeds us everything! Then feeds us some more! So I'm sticking to my exercise and it's working! I feel great and have so much more energy! I promise I won't always give you an update on my weight..it's not lady like! ;) Ok so as I'm sitting here I can see out the window, and for the last 3 minutes there are two guys out there bouncing and waving like crazy people, so I'm ignoring them, cause that's what we're told to do. Don't return the attention. I couldn't ignore them any longer so I looked out and it's Elder Morris and his trainer! I felt so bad! I love having him here! He was so much like a brother to me in the MTC, that it's great to see him! So yeah anyways...it gets dark at about 3:30 and we don't go in til 9:30pm...who ever told me that they don't proselyte after dark was mistaken! :) And there are a lot of drunk people here! Wow...most are funny, some we just plain stay away from. The members of the branch are very nice and accepting! They enjoy when new missionaries come and try to speak. They're very helpful too! So for now I'm their entertainment, but they all keep telling me that I'm in their prayers daily and they know the Lord will bless my with the gift of tongues. Russian is progressing just not coming as fast as I'd like it to. But that's where theLord is teaching me patience. It's not on my time table, it's on His! So for Christmas, I can either call you in really early in the morning or the evening here. I'll let you know when it gets closer. It's so weird here, they are setting up all these decorations, so it does feel like Chrsitmas time, but it's not for Christmas, it's for New Years. Christmas in December is completely overlooked...it's a normal day for Russians, then comes New Years, where it's a 2 week celebration, then comes Christmas which is one day and done. So by mid January the festivities will be done. We decorated the apartment..I'll send pictures! I got the two pictures from Brandi...came through just fine! Send more if you want! They were really fun to get! I have not slipped on ice yet! i've been told it's inevitable but not yet! I wish I could tell you more about the area, like th people and stuff, but they are really strict on what we can and can't say. The story from earlier is borderline! But that's what a journal is for...when I get home, you can read it all! :) I have to go...sorry! I'll write again next week! I love you all!
Sister Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment